Sunday, April 7, 2013

menu plan: tortilla soup perfected

back to the menu plan, are we?  my friend chelle was over last night and as we were chatting, i laughed and told her i am an oxymoron.  an introverted exhibitionist.  i don't need nearly as much social interaction as the average human and only a slight fraction of what my son requires, but oh do i like to make a public display of myself.  so funny that.  so back to the public posting of the menu plan as that is very motivational for me.

i thought i'd share my tortilla soup recipe one more time, because i have perfected it and because, let's face it, i am no domestic goddess and in the kitchen i am pretty much a one hit wonder.

ingredients:
1 package bone in, skin on chicken breasts (2-3 large breasts)
half package of frozen diced onion
20-30 baby carrots, sliced
fresh cilantro (1/4 cup maybe? i never measure) leaves only (the stems are too strong for me)
1 can rotel
3-4 ears corn on the cob (or one bag frozen corn)
finely shredded mexican cheese (garnish)
tortilla chips (garnish)
avocado (garnish)
sour cream(garnish)

cook chicken, onion, cilantro, carrot, salt and pepper till chicken is done.  take chicken out and add rotel and corn on the cob.  when chicken is cool enough pull mean off bones, shred it, and return it to the pot.  take out corn on the cob, slice it off cob, and return it to the pot.  serve with your choice of tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream.

notes:  i've found that boiling the corn and then slicing it off causes the kernels to swell and stick together a bit even when they're cut off.  probably this doesn't affect the taste much, but i think it looks cool!

tip on freezing the extra cilantro can be found HERE.

this week's menu:
sunday: fajitas
monday: spaghetti
tuesday: leftovers
wednesday: tortila soup
thursday: carrie's?
friday: sherri's?
saturday: taco salad


and since blogging/scrapbooking a favorite recipe is one of the centipede challenges, i get another segment added to my centipede.  hooray!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you described me as well. Introverted for sure(!!), but I do like to show off my arty stuff and I do enjoy having a blog for all to see! Although I am not much of a cook, your recipe looks lovely! :) Evie

    ReplyDelete