Monday, November 30, 2015

b&w stories: grandma (part two)

"I had a sister and brother older, Elizabeth and John.  Two years later on New Year's Eve Harry was born.

In a few months, i think i was about two and a half, my mother gave me away to an aunt, my father's sister that did not have any children of her own so I was raised as an only child.  I was never adopted.  My father would not permit it and I had to go back and stay with my family for two weeks every year.

My aunt, or Mama as I soon started calling her, took me on a train to her home in Ohio where she lived on an oil lease.  I remember all those tall derricks around the house.

When I was about four, we moved jut across the state line to Richmond, Indiana where I lived till I came to St. Petersburg, Florida in 1944."

1 comment: